The Charitable Gifts and Endowments Committee is pleased to announce that Community UCC has moved its endowment funds to better mirror the mission of our church with environmental and socially responsible investing.
Six of our endowment funds are now invested in the United Church Fund’s Beyond Fossil Fuel Balanced Fund, created after passage of the UCC General Synod 2013 Resolution that addressed climate change through all available methods.
Performance of the fund has been positive compared to its benchmark for the past three years.
We are pleased to make this change so that Community UCC addresses the urgency of healing the earth’s climate, our home, and God’s gift for all life. What a great way to celebrate Earth Day.
Please mark your personal and congregational calendars for our upcoming Interfaith Scholar Weekend on Jan. 19-21.
Interfaith Scholar Weekend will feature scholar Dr. Christiana Peppard, assistant professor of theology, science and ethics at Fordham University in New York.
Dr. Peppard’s scholarship focuses on global environmental ethics and religion and science in a pluralistic era. She is the author of “Just Water” (Orbis Books, 2014) and co-editor of “Just Sustainability: Technology, Ecology and Resource Extraction” (Orbis, 2015). Dr. Peppard is from Fresno, CA.
Dr. Peppard’s engagements during the weekend will be:
- Friday, Jan. 19, at the Islamic Cultural Center of Fresno.
- Three more lectures at Temple Beth Israel on the issue of water on Saturday, Jan. 20. Her lecture topics will be:
- “Climate Change, Water and Religion: Questions of Justice?”
- “Water: Human Right, Economic Commodity, Natural Resource, or … ?”
- “The Agriculture-Water Nexus and Interfaith Imagination”
For more information, visit Interfaith Scholar website.