We trace our heritage back to the Pilgrims, who were Congregationalists and firm believers in religious freedom. Our forebears in faith were early advocates in the anti-slavery movement and many other liberation movements. The United Church of Christ is a cutting edge denomination that has an impressive history of “firsts”: first denomination to ordain an African-American pastor, first to ordain a woman pastor, first to ordain an openly gay pastor.
Like the Pilgrims, we covenant with each other and the wider church. Guided by the open-heartedness of Christ, the United Church of Christ affirms diversity of all kinds, and is comfortable with the creative tensions and debate generated by a wide range of perspectives and beliefs.
Community UCC was founded in 1956 and merged with Zion Congregational Church in 2006. Zion was founded in 1900.
Did you know?
- A Just Peace Church
- The first church in Fresno to install solar panels.
- An Environmental Justice Church
- A rainbow flag flying Church
- A leader in inter-faith and world-wide religions.
- Was the first church in Fresno to install xeriscape, drought resistant landscape.
- Has a Peace Garden and Labyrinth
- Provides Sunday School, has a Youth Group, and Sunday nursery.
- Collaborated with Fresno County Office of Education to establish on site classrooms for a Head Start preschool.
- Performs and welcomes traditional and same sex weddings.
- Has rental facilities available for weddings, conferences, meetings, and other events, for members of our congregation or the wider community.
“Drawing us toward a way of life that is more healthy and whole, for us and for our planet.”