What Shall We Bring to our Community?
What Shall We Bring to the Earth?
This is the focus of our Stewardship Campaign, beginning April 28 and leading to Stewardship Sunday on May 19.
What is Stewardship?
The definition of stewardship is the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one’s care. As Christians, we are encouraged to consider how we use our money, possessions, time and abilities to thoughtfully and prayerfully change lives following the example of Jesus of Nazareth.
Community UCC conducts an annual Stewardship drive to ask church members and supporters what they will bring to the mission of the church by completing a financial pledge form and Time & Talent sheet for the following fiscal year, from July 1 to June 30.
Why are Financial Pledges important to our church mission and vision?
Our church budget is a reflection of the mission and vision of our church. We put our resources into things we need (electricity; water) and things we want (ministers; music; Sunday School and Christian nurture classes; ways to work together to make a difference in our community).
If every member of the church completed a Pledge card 2019-2020 after prayerfully considering what they can financially bring to the church in the next year, the church budget can be built with accurate knowledge of what funds to expect and plan for what our possibilities can be in the following year. Electronic giving can make weekly or monthly giving easy to do.
What is a Time & Talent Sheet and why do we need them?
A Time and Talent Sheet 2019-2020 has a broad list of opportunities to participate in our community and is an excellent way for people to communicate what they would like to bring to our church life. Time & Talent Sheets are shared with our church ministries and leaders so that our church can plan the actions of our church in the following year and be enriched by more participation. It is an easy way for people to share their desired gifts of time, skill and ability and helps to connect people together in shared interests.
What to do if not at church on Stewardship Sunday, May 19?
Pledge forms and Time & Talent Sheets can be mailed to the church office or placed in the Offering basket during any worship service at any time.
April 28-June 9
During this series we will be talking about stewardship in a couple of ways.
How to be good stewards of creation and environmental justice, and also how to be good stewards of this church with time, talent and financial support.
- As we bring our gifts, our gifts will grow, so each Sunday you will receive a little something during the Invitation to Giving time. So you won’t want to miss a Sunday because each item builds on the next!
- April 28 – Creation Story Genesis 1:1-2:3, Eileen White will share the gift of the stained-glass windows and the stories that go with them. During Invitation to Giving you will also be receiving a clay pot.
- May 5 – Jesus and the Rich Man Mark 10:17-22, Communion and Pastor Ara will give the sermon. During Invitation to Giving you will receive a couple of rocks to put in your pot.
- May 12 – Psalm 24:1, Youth lead Worship Service. Come and hear our youth share their gifts during this special worship service. During Invitation to Giving you will get a bit of potting soil.
- May 19 – Micah 6:6-8, Stewardship Sunday with potluck immediately following worship. Ann Scott, our vice-moderator, will give the message. During Invitation to Giving you will receive some seeds.
- May 26 – Woman at the Well John 4:5-14, Pastor Ara will give the sermon. During Invitation to Giving you will receive a container for water.
- June 2 – John 13:21-30, Communion and Pastor Ara will give the sermon. During Invitation to Giving you will receive something to put in your clay pot.
- June 9 – Acts 2:1-21, on Pentecost Sunday Julia Penner-Zook will give the sermon. During Invitation to Giving the last gift will be revealed.
UPDATED APRIL 10 (new items in bold)
- Liberian Dinner – hosted by Elizabeth Davis-Russell and Thomas Russell, May 24, 6 guests, $35
- Spa Day – hosted by Amy & Carol Kilburn, June 1, includes 50-minute massage, 4 guests, $40
- Chris Sorensen’s Studio Tour – hosted by Janet Capella, 2223 S Van Ness Ave, June 8, includes art activity, 8 guests, $10 – child appropriate
- An Evening of Women’s Spiritual Creativity – hosted by Robin Carlson, at church, June 11, 10 guests, $20
- Virginia is for Lovers Dinner – hosted by Sue and Spence Hipp, June 22, 10 guests, $35
- Icelandic Dinner #1 – hosted by Kristi and Terry Cole, August 10, 6 guests, $30
- Glassblowing with Ballis Glass – hosted by Amy and Carol Kilburn, 2888 N Sunnyside #104 Fresno, date in early September to be announced, includes make-your-own heart ornament, 6 guests, $45 – children 10 and up
- Icelandic Dinner #2 – hosted by Kristi and Terry Cole, September 7, 6 guests, $30
- Movie Under the Stars Dinner- hosted by Sharon Powers and Mike Smith, September 13, 12 guests, $35
- Game Night Dinner – hosted by Nancy and Clay Pressley & Jacque and Bob Garcia, September 28, 8 guests, $35
- Tasty Burgers Dinner– hosted by Nancy and Clay Pressley & Vicky and Roger Wall, at church, November 10, 40 guests, $12 – child appropriate
- Bunko Party with heavy appetizers – hosted by Patty and Nancy Parks, date to be determined, 16 guests, $35
- Fantastic Fondue Fandango Dinner – hosted by Annie and Jack Van Patten, date to be determined, 8 guests, $35
- Alla’s Armenian Restaurant Dinner – hosted by Sally and Doug Hoagland, 3051 E Ashlan, Fresno, followed by dessert at the Hoagland’s, date negotiable, 6 guests, $25
- Proofreading – offered by Julia Penner-Zook, 3-250 words (1 page) at $6, 2-1,000 words at $20, 2 Resume (2-4 pages) at $20, 3 Blogposts (500 words) at $10
- Fresno Chaffee Zoo Insider’s Tour – donated by Sharon Powers, includes entrance fee, 3-hour tour and lunch, date negotiable, 8 guests, $30
- Garden Tour – donated by Eileen White & Ron Vivian – details to come
SILENT AUCTION ITEMS
- Shaver Lake 4th of July week at the “cabin,” 6 bedrooms, 4 ½ baths, sleeps 18, donated by Marie and Steve Edwards – child appropriate
- Pick a Sermon topic to be delivered by Ara Guekeujian
- Pies – 6 pies/1 a month or delivered at one time, baked by Rod Zook
- Personal Assistant – up to 6 hours for driving, running errands, organizing, shopping etc. (anything you need except house cleaning), donated by Bonita Earl
- Fresno State basket – Includes theatre tickets for the 2019-20 season for two, apparel, sports tickets and more (details to be finalized soon), donations solicited by Lisa Boyles
- Ray Wicks original wood design – donated by Lisa Wicks
- Pink and White Zirconia Ring – Celebrity Style by Charles Winston
- Amber and Silver Pendant and Ring from Poland
- Amethyst Pendant with Silver Chain
- Brass and Bead Necklace & Earrings