Photo above reprinted from United Church of Christ News
Shocking as it is, proponents of Trump’s zero-tolerance immigration policy dare to use biblical references to justify cruel treatment of men, women, and children. But this new awareness is not so new. The recent blitz of news is just scratching the surface in terms of the history and human condition of U.S. immigration.
During these trying times, it may also be difficult for us to stay true to our Judeo-Christian faith. Here are some biblical quotes that refer to this age-old issue of migration.
- Exodus 22:21 – Moses gives God’s law: “You shall not wrong or oppress a resident alien; for you were aliens in the land of Egypt.”
- Romans 12:13 – “Mark of the true Christian: “…Extend hospitality to strangers…”
- Ephesians 2:11-22 – “So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are citizens with the saints and also members of the household of God.”
- James 2:14-17 – “What good is it…if you say you have faith but do not have works?”
- I John 4:7-21 – “Beloved, let us love one another because love is from God…” We love because God first loved us.”
You may also visit UCC.org for more on UCC’s position on this tragedy:
For further action, you can also join our Missions and Social Justice Team here at Community United Church of Christ.